Kilimanjaro Routes | Marangu Route to Climb Kilimanjaro
Marangu route being the oldest is also known as the “Coca-Cola” route, which is a classic climb on Mount Kilimanjaro.
It is the most well established route. Many favor the route because it is considered to be the easiest path on the mountain, given its gradual slope.
This is the only route which offers sleeping huts with a dormitory style accommodation. Minimum number of days required for this route is five, although the probability of successfully reaching the top of the mountain in that period is quite low. When climbing Mount Kilimanjaro using this route an extra acclimatization day on the mountain is highly recommended.
Marangu route is favored only during the rainy season, where the hut accommodations are preferred over wet ground, or for those who only have five days to climb the mountain.
DAY 1: Nairobi-Moshi
0800hrs: Board a shuttle bus from Nairobi and proceed to Arusha arriving at 1300hrs.
1400hrs: Depart for Moshi to arrive at 1530hrs.
Dinner and overnight at a hotel in Moshi or (Pick up from Kilimanajaro airport and transfer to hotel in Moshi)
Day 2 - Marangu Gate (1860 m/6100 ft) - Mandara Huts (2700m/8860 ft)
Transfer from Moshi to Marangu gate.
From marangu gate (1980 m) you shall trek on a wide track through rain forest and giant heathers.
walking for 6 hours ascending 700m to Mandara Huts at 2700m.
Dinner and overnight at Mandara huts.
Day 3 - Mandara Huts - Horombo Huts (3700 m/12140 ft)
The trek continues through the forest eventually reaching an area of heather, which then turns into moorland. At this stage is where you will get your first good view of the snow capped Kibo and its sister Mawenzi.
You will have walked about 11 km during the day which will take 5-7 hours having ascended 1000m.
Day 4 - Horombo Huts - Kibo Huts (4700 m/15420 ft)
Day 5 - Summit attempt via Gilman's Point (5700 m/18700 ft) to Uhuru Peak (5895 m/19340 ft) and descent to Horombo Huts (3700 m/12200 ft)
• Walking distance: 5.5 km/3.5 miles ascent + 15 km/9.5 miles descent
• Climbing Kilimanjaro Marangu routeWalking time: 5-6 hrs + 1-2 hours up, 5-6 hours down (the overall walking time may vary from 10 - 16 hours)
• Altitude gain: 1000 m/ 3280 ft (Gilman's Point) or 1195 m/3920 ft (Uhuru Peak)
• Descent: 2195 m/7200 ft
Day 6 - Horombo Huts - Marangu Gate-Keys Hotel
• Walking distance: 20 km/12.5 miles
• Walking time: 5 hours
• Descent: 1840 m/6040 ft
DAY 7: After breakfast, depart for your next destination, which is optional, either:
• The National Park (This can be arranged)
• Kilimanjaro International Airport
• Arusha Town
• Nairobi via border town Namanga arriving at 6.30 PM
Included in the price:
• Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
• Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
• Full board accommodation whilst on the trek. Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
• Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
• All park entrance fees to include government taxes
• Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
• Start and finish Nairobi
• Treated water on the trek.
• On completion, successful climb Certificate
• Laundry, sleeping bags, beverages/Drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears
• International flights
• Visas to Kenya
• Items of personal nature
• Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary
All prices are per person